Sunday, April 25, 2010

Why the legal field SUCKS

The whole legal profession is terrible. I don't mean the people at all. In fact I can saw that I have the privilege of knowing some very amazing, caring, intelligent, hard working, and driven lawyers, para-legals, judges, and other people who work in the legal profession.

The terrible problem with their profession is that it is inherently flawed-yes flawed. They say that they can fix legal problems but really they cannot fix anything. They can mitigate damages or ensure that punishment is adequately distributed. They can help to right wrongs and even give us rights previously withheld from us but fixing, no they are not in the business of fixing problems.

See doctors fix problem. When I was 6 I broke my arm. The doctor casted it and it healed. You-hell even I now a days- don't even really know it ever happened because my arm got fixed. There is no lasting effects either mental or physical from my arm.
See the legal system can't fix problems because to fix a problem you have to be able to effectively erase that the problem was ever their, and I don't just mean from your physical body I mean from your conscious. I never ever think of my arm that broke not even when I see a slide, what I fell off to break it in the first place. I don't think about because I am fixed there is no lasting scar either physical or mental.

When I worked in the DA's office though I could never fix the victims. See the law even though it served justice never took away that scared feeling every time a robbery victim had walking down that street, or going to the ATM, or pulling into a dimly lit parking lot thinking is this going to be like the time I got robbed.
Like when I worked for a civil defense firm I could never give those people their houses back. Even though they could get lots of money to compensate for all the stuff they lost due to mold I could not give them their favorite stuffed animal back, or their couch. Every time they sat on the new couch they remembered this is not the couch we really wanted that one was destroyed.
When contracts break and you get money or even what was promised to you back it will always be somewhat bitter sweet because along with it comes the memories of how you got it.
No matter what the legal profession says they cannot put humpty dumpty back together again, all they can do is sue for negligence or wrongful placement of the wall.

I think people need to remember that when they are both wronging someone and when they are getting wronged. By no stretch of the imagination am I saying don't use the judicial system. If we did not then our society would run wild but also do not expect to be fixed. Lawyers cannot take away the problem they can just get your compensated. You can win all the money in the world but I think 9 times out of 10 people would just like to be treated better in the first place.

No comments: